For more information about any of the upcoming clinics, please contact Volunteer Services Director Justin Harville at 800-633-7403 or email@example.com.
2013 Upcoming Sport-Specific Clinics
Soccer Skills Clinic - Cancelled
Additional clinics will be scheduled soon.
Online Training Level 1 Opportunities
Special Olympics is offering two break-through online education resources for its coaches, aimed at improving the quality and consistency of Special Olympics’ coaches training worldwide. Special Olympics partnered with two leading sport coaching education providers: American Sport Education Program (ASEP) and the National Federation of State High Schools (NFHS) to develop and deliver Special Olympics-customized online courses that meet entry-level certification requirements for Special Olympics coaches.
Through the ASEP-offered Coaching Special Olympics Athletes online course (used for the certification of any sport(s) by completing an application or sports certification within 12 months of course completion), coaches will develop a better understanding of how people with intellectual disabilities learn and how they participate in sports. The course offers an overview of the coaching principles and successful techniques involved in working with Special Olympics athletes, as well as practical ideas that can be used during coaching.
The NFHS-offered Coaching Special Olympics Unified Sports® course (recertification purposes only towards one sport) helps coaches understand and implement the most successful coaching strategies for this very special mix of teammates. The course features an introduction by former NFL quarterback, and Special Olympics supporter, Kurt Warner.
These courses represent much-needed, web-based alternatives to traditional in-person trainings. Special Olympics PDF resources are referenced throughout the course, along with photos, audio, video, and narrated presentations.
Additional courses maybe found on the ASEP and NFHS websites that can satisfy first time certifications and/or recertification’s for certain sports. Please check with Justin Harville – Volunteer Services Director before taking the course to verify its criteria with Special Olympics Coach Education Standards. Justin can be reach by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-695-8222
Online Training Level 2 Opportunities
(Must have completed all level 1 requirements)
Principles of Coaching course offered through West Virginia University-Continuing Education is a non-sport specific that seeks to expand more on the sports sciences. It addresses the basic principles of coaching and by completing the course, you will learn to:
- Develop an understanding of Special Olympics and identify a coaching philosophy.
- Apply the sport management team approach in recruiting athletes, volunteers, and family members and in developing training plans for conducting sport-specific training programs for Special Olympics athletes.
- Identify practical methods for enhancing Special Olympics athlete performance by developing sport confidence through effective coaching techniques.
- Apply the principles of strength, endurance, coordination, agility and flexibility training and nutrition to enhance sport-specific performance as they apply to the Special Olympics athlete.
- Provide the safest environment for Special Olympics athletes during training and competition.
For more information about any of the upcoming clinics, please contact Volunteer Services Director Justin Harville at 800-633-7403 or email@example.com